People in the news | NevadaAppeal.com

People in the news

Buzz Aldrin named honorary general to moon

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Los Angeles County has given moonwalker Buzz Aldrin a new title: Honorary consul general to the moon.

Forty years after Aldrin and Neil Armstrong became the first men to walk on the moon, county supervisors on Tuesday gave him the title while saluting the contribution of veterans to America’s space program.

The 79-year-old Aldrin was an Air Force veteran before joining NASA.

Aldrin thanked the supervisors and called on the federal government to lead an international effort to colonize another planet, clean up space debris and pursue commercial opportunities in space.

Arrest warrant dropped for Quaids in hotel case

Recommended Stories For You

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) – An arrest warrant has been dropped for actor Randy Quaid and his wife, Evi, who are accused of stiffing a Santa Barbara County hotel on a $10,000 bill.

Prosecutor Lee Carter says the warrant was recalled after the Quaids posted bail of $20,000 each last week.

The Quaids’ attorney, Robert Sanger, says the bill has been paid and he hopes to talk with prosecutors about resolving the case.

The warrant was issued after the Quaids failed to show up for three court appearances.

They were arrested on Sept. 24 in West Texas. Authorities plan to extradite them to California, where they’re accused of using an invalid credit card to defraud San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito.

Arraignment is set for Dec. 15.

J.Lo granted temporary restraining order

LOS ANGELES (AP) – A California judge has granted a temporary restraining order barring Jennifer Lopez’s first husband from distributing 11 hours of home video footage from their marriage that the singer-actress claims includes sexual situations.

Ojani Noa and his manager Ed Meyer had planned to distribute the footage and proposed making a film, “The J.Lo and Ojani Noa Story.” The Tuesday order also applies to Meyer.

Lopez wed Noa in 1997 and their marriage lasted 11 months. In 2007, Lopez won $545,000 in damages and attorney fees in another lawsuit that blocked Noa from publishing a ghostwritten tell-all book. Lopez claimed Noa demanded $5 million to keep him from publishing the book.

Noa, who represented himself, claimed the footage included nothing sexual and alleged that Lopez is trying to keep him from success.

Denzel Washington set for ‘Fences’ on Broadway

NEW YORK (AP) – Get ready for another big name on Broadway.

Denzel Washington plans to return to the New York stage next spring in a revival of August Wilson’s “Fences.”

Producers Carole Shorenstein Hays and Scott Rudin say the play will open in April at a theater to be announced. The production will be directed by Kenny Leon, who directed Wilson’s “Radio Golf” and “Gem of the Ocean” on Broadway.

No other casting was announced. The original 1987 production starred James Earl Jones as patriarch Troy Maxson, Mary Alice as his wife and Courtney B. Vance as his son. It won both the Tony Award for best play and the Pulitzer Prize for drama.

Washington was last on Broadway in 2005 in a revival of “Julius Caesar” in which he played Brutus.

Aerosmith’s Joe Perry: Band not breaking up

NEW YORK (AP) – Aerosmith’s lead guitarist Joe Perry says the legendary rock band isn’t breaking up – although they may be in need a new singer.

Perry said on the micro-blogging site Twitter late Monday that Aerosmith is “not splitting up” but “looking for a new singer to work with” amid growing speculation about the future of the band and the role of front man Steven Tyler.

Tyler has been quoted as saying he is considering a solo career.

Perry said Monday on WKXL, a radio station in Concord, N.H., that Tyler hasn’t communicated his intentions with anyone in the band and that he found out about Tyler’s solo wishes after going online.

Tyler could not immediately be reached for comment.

The 61-year-old Tyler was injured when he fell off a stage during an Aug. 5 performance in South Dakota, and the band canceled the remainder of its summer tour.

“After the tour got canceled, he just kept drifting off and doing other things. We would hear things from different people. He wasn’t talking directly to anybody in the band,” Perry told WKXL, referring to Tyler. “So basically, he just made the announcement that he was taking some time off.”

Go back to article