Poetry Out Loud participants sought
November 3, 2013
Registration to participate in the 2014 Nevada Poetry Out Loud is open through Dec. 1.
The program is structured similarly to the National Spelling Bee, but it focuses on literary heritage through memorization and performance of classic and contemporary works. High school teachers and students are invited to get involved.
Students memorize and present out loud poetry featured at http://www.poetryoutloud.org. Participants advance from school to district competitions, then to the state finals. The state champion receives $1,000 personally and $1,000 for his or her school to support literary programs and travels to Washington, D.C. to compete for $50,000 in scholarships and school prizes at the Poetry Out Loud National Finals.
To find out more about Nevada Poetry Out Loud and to register to participate, go to nac.nevadaculture.org or contact Maryjane Dorofachuk at 702-486-3738 or mdorofachuk@NevadaCulture.org.
Trending In: Local
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition