Regents name Burton interim WNC chief
April 25, 2014
The Board of Regents on Friday named Chet Burton interim president of Western Nevada College.
He has been acting president since December, when Carol Lucey resigned. This new appointment is effective through June 30, 2016.
The board is conducting a national search for a permanent president.
"I cannot imagine finding a person who is more qualified or ready to undertake this leadership role at Western Nevada College," said chancellor Dan Klaich in recommending Burton's appointment.
He said Burton's experience, including tackling the college's tough budget issues, uniquely qualifies him for the post.
He has been at WNC since 2009 in several top positions. He spent 20 years in the Navy, including assignments at the Pentagon and as a legislative liaison on Capitol Hill. He was also controller and finance director for International Game Technology headquartered in Reno.
WNC is one of six colleges in the Nevada System of Higher Education, which includes the University of Nevada Reno and the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
The other colleges are Henderson State College, College of Southern Nevada, Great Basin College and Truckee Meadows Community College. All together, NSHE has nearly 105,000 students.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat