Registration open for annual Nevada Day run
October 16, 2013
If you Go
WHAT: Nevada Day Classic 8k Run and 2 Mile Run/Walk
WHEN: 8 a.m. Oct. 26
WHERE: Corner of Telegraph and Curry streets.
Race-day registration will be 6:30-7:30 a.m. on the second floor of the Carson Nugget.
Mail registration before Oct. 22 to:
Tahoe Mountain Milers
c/o Steve Lang
4201 Meadow Wood Rd.
Carson City, NV 89703
For more information, visit tahoemtnmilers.org,nevadaday.com/pages/runwalk.php or contact Steve Lang at 775-720-7704.
Steve Lang remembers running the 2-mile race in the Nevada Day Classic with his son when he was about 7 years old. He said the boy was dragging his feet throughout the race until the duo made the turn onto Carson Street for the final half-mile stretch.
"There were already hundreds, if not thousands, of people on the sidelines getting ready for the parade," Lang said. "My son just started running as fast as he could, with all those people cheering him on. That just really gives an energy to runners to finish strong."
Lang, this year's race director, says it's that same excitement that draws about 400 runners each year to the Nevada Day Classic 8k Run and 2-Mile Run/Walk. It is sponsored by the Carson Nugget, Ascent Physical Therapy, CV Sports, Dutch Bros. and Road Runners Club of America, and put on by the Tahoe Mountain Milers running club and its members.
"It gets people out and ready for Nevada Day," he said. "They get the sludge moving before the parade and everything else gets started."
The race, which benefits Special Olympics, begins at 8 a.m. Oct. 26 at Telegraph and Curry streets, then winds through Carson City's historic district.
"The high point of the 8K is the corner on Winnie Lane," Lang said. "It's about 50 or 75 feet higher than Carson Street, so it's a pretty flat course."
While the race will be a timed event, Lang said, it is not really the focus.
"Instead of spending money on prizes, we really want the money to go to the Special Olympics," he said. "The purpose is to have fun and be part of a good cause. There's plenty of competitive races in town."
He said he'd rather see people dress up for the run.
"Costumes are encouraged," he said.
Raffle prizes and results will be announced directly after the race in the upstairs ballroom of the Carson Nugget.
The entry fee is $35 or $40 on race day.
Registration forms can be picked up at CV Sports and Ascent Physical Therapy or completed at http://www.race360.com/running/races/detail.asp?eventid=15239. Packet pickup will be from 4-7 p.m. Oct. 25 at CV Sports, 911 Topsy Lane.
For more information, go to tahoemtnmilers.org or contact Steve Lang at 775-720-7704.
Trending In: Local
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts