School-located vaccination clinics protect kids from the flu
September 11, 2012
This column appears in the Nevada Appeal Wednesday health pages. It addresses topics related to the health of our community.
It’s that time again. Each year, as summer draws to a close, children head back to school, and the weather begins to cool. Fall also signals the time to start thinking about getting an annual flu vaccine. For students and teachers of Carson City schools, getting a flu vaccination is easy. During the week of Sept. 17-21, Carson City Health and Human Services will once again provide flu vaccinations to students, teachers, and staff of Carson City schools. This marks the fourth year that the Health Department has conducted this community outreach program, which has been well received by teachers and parents.
During school-located vaccination clinics, nurses and administrative volunteers travel to each school to administer flu vaccine – either the shot or the nasal spray – to students whose parents have completed the necessary paperwork. “Seasonal influenza vaccination is a safe and preventive health action that benefits all age groups to protect against influenza illness. Administering influenza vaccine at schools during school hours makes it possible for large numbers of children to be vaccinated during a short period of time and provides convenience for parents,” said Karen Allen, who is coordinating the program for Carson City Health and Human Services.
If you have a student in the Carson City school district, be on the lookout for vaccine information and a release form in your child’s PeeChee folder. For other community members who are interested in a free flu vaccine, the annual Drive-thru Community Flu clinic will be held from 9 a.m. -1 p.m. on Oct. 6 at the Carson City Corporate Yard at 3303 Butti Way.
To see the complete School-Located Vaccination Clinic Schedule, as well as other Health Department services, go to http://www.gethealthycarsoncity.org . For the latest Health Department news, like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/cchhs .
Mark Your Calendars: Join Carson City Health and Human Services, Carson City Fire Department, and Carson City Emergency Management for a special Get Ready! Carson City event from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, at the North Carson Home Depot. We will be celebrating National Preparedness Month with all the information you need to make your own emergency preparedness kit. Learn how to protect yourself and your family in an emergency, join the Medical Reserve Corps, and meet some of our community’s emergency preparedness experts and first responders! Come early, custom emergency kit bags while supplies last!
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat