Scout plans food drive for FISH
August 20, 2014
Nick Bowler of Boy Scout Troop 16 in Carson City is organizing a food drive for FISH for his Eagle Scout project.
Drop-off locations are at both Carson City Walmart stores on Saturday. There will also be a drop-off on Sept. 6 at First Baptist Church on Mountain Street during its annual Block Party.
"FISH feeds more than 300 families per month, and their shelves are empty right now," he said. "They can use any non perishable food item but really need protein like beans, tuna, peanut butter, mac-n-cheese or chili."
Bowler has been in Boy Scouts for nine years and said he has learned leadership and survival skills.
"One of the main things I have learned is to help others at all times," he said. "Recently, I completed a trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. I backpacked 95 miles for 12 days in grueling conditions. That trip taught me how to survive and not give up."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local
- Initial approval given to Lompa project by Carson City supervisors
- Veterans suicide leads to training at Nevada prisons
- Carson City mayor declares Friday Mark Lindquist Day
- Nevada public retirement system board lowers investment projections
- Business struggles to hire young people for skilled-worker jobs