Silver Dollars: Conn walks the long road through every jurisdiction in the U.S.
September 9, 2012
The Nevada Appeal’s Silver Dollars & Wooden Nickels feature recognizes positive achievements from the capital region and, when warranted, points out others that missed the mark.SILVER DOLLAR: Save the best for last. As the saying goes, that is what J. Stephen Conn did Sept. 1. That’s when Conn became the 34th person known to have visited every county, parish or similar jurisdiction in the U.S. when he stepped into Carson City. “It’s definitely about the journey, but all of the destinations are fascinating,” Conn said.The retired minister from Pikeville, Tenn., decided in June 1995 to set out on the journey. SILVER DOLLAR: To the proposal the Pentagon and FAA are studying to possibly make Naval Air Station Fallon a nationwide multiservice “center for excellence for testing unmanned aerial vehicles or drones.”Gov. Brian Sandoval revealed the possibility during Fallon’s Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast and Lions Club Labor Day Parade last week. The possibility of NAS becoming part of a UAV center would be a large job creator for Northern Nevada.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016