Teen reportedly drowns Friday in Emerald Bay
August 17, 2013
A 17-year-old boy's body was recovered in 72 feet of water in Emerald Bay Saturday morning after he reportedly drowned Friday.
At 3:12 p.m. Friday, El Dorado County Sheriff's office received a report of a possible drowning. Crews made contact with a rental boat about 3:15 p.m. on the south side of the bay.
The family aboard the boat reported that their 17-year-old son, later identified by his family as Javon Lamar Green, was swimming toward Fannette Island from the boat when he went under water and they hadn't seen him since, according to a press release from the sheriff's office. The family, who was vacationing in the area, reportedly said the island was about 25 yards away from the boat at the time.
Sheriff's office dive team members and a California Highway Patrol helicopter searched for the boy, but were unable to locate him. At 9:07 a.m. Saturday, the team located the boy in about 72 feet of water. His body was recovered about 9:35 a.m. The cause of death is still under investigation.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat