The Volunteer Connection
March 31, 2013
This continues RSVP's Sunday column of volunteer opportunities. For details or to sign up for any of these opportunities, call Carol at 775-687-4680, ext. 6. Please do not call agencies directly, as they cannot process your application to volunteer.
• People First of Nevada seeks a volunteer to assist as adviser/mentor for its Carson City Chapter. The volunteer will help guide the chapter officers to ensure they are completing their assigned duties. Some knowledge of people with disabilities and the ability to guide, but not dominate, the group is desirable.
• Carson City Convention & Visitors Bureau seeks weekend volunteers for its visitor center and gift store. They must have excellent customer-service skills and enthusiasm about everything Carson City has to offer. The ability to operate a cash register, answer phones and handle other clerical duties is desirable. Orientation and training will be provided.
• Lack of transportation is a big problem for frail, low-income seniors trying to get to medical appointments because there is a lack of RSVP drivers. These seniors can't afford a cab and rely on RSVP 100 percent. Call for details on driving, as the program is flexible and RSVP has its own vans. Drivers using personal vehicles are reimbursed mileage.
• RSVP needs volunteers to serve as friendly companions to seniors who are home alone during the day. These folks need a friend who will call on them from time to time and visit, and maybe help with some small tasks or in some instances have lunch, play cards or games.
• Caring for a loved one 24/7 can be exhausting. RSVP needs respite care volunteers to give caregivers some time off. Training is provided, and you will receive a small stipend and mileage reimbursement. Call for details.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) is seeking volunteers to fill several volunteer positions: court monitoring, victim impact panel speaker and victim advocate. Nevada MADD volunteer orientation and online training will be provided. Computer access and experience are required.
• Silver State Charter School seeks math tutors to work with kids who need some extra help in pre-algebra, algebra and simple geometry. They must have patience and basic skills in high school-level algebra and simple geometry.
• Are you an animal lover? Carson City Animal Shelter needs volunteers to walk dogs and socialize with cats.
• ComputerCorps seeks technical, administrative and facilities volunteers to help with its "Every Home 'A' Classroom" Program that is administered through the individual schools. Through it, families of school-aged children who can't afford a computer system can qualify for a free one. Volunteers receive mileage reimbursement, snacks and lunch.
• Western Nevada College seeks ushers and people who sew to assist with the costumes for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company's productions. Volunteers will receive free refreshments and a show souvenir, and they are allowed to watch performances for free.
• The Carson City Parks and Recreation Department is training ushers for its Community Center Theater productions. They need light and sound technicians. It also is looking for volunteers for daytime building monitors, custodians and maintenance.
• Carson City Literacy seeks volunteers to teach people of all ages to read. A one-year commitment with two hours per week is required. Training will be provided.
All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several insurances. If you are a not-for-profit agency and would like us to feature your need for volunteers, call Carol at 775-687-4680, ext. 6.