Transient allegedly chased Carson man to apartment, broke down door
October 1, 2013
A 20-year-old transient was arrested Monday on suspicion of felony home invasion after allegedly chasing a man to his apartment and breaking down the door.
According to the Carson City Sheriff's Office:
Jared Olan Smith saw the alleged victim walking south on Imperial Way about 7:10 p.m. Monday. Smith had a history with Shelby, and he and a large group of friends chased Shelby back to his home. Shelby got inside first and locked the door, and Smith pounded on it, then kicked it down.
Shelby fled to the bedroom while calling 911. Smith waited in the front room, then punched a flat-screen TV on the wall, creating a large hole. He then fled with his friends.
Smith was tracked to a church gym on North Nevada Street and admitted to the crime. In addition to home invasion, he was arrested on suspicion of commission of another crime while committing burglary/home invasion (the other crime was destruction of property). Total bail was set at $27,500.
Smith remained at the Carson City Jail on Tuesday afternoon.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat