Two more unexplained inmate deaths in Nevada prison cells
November 20, 2012
Prison officials are investigating two new unexplained inmate deaths that occurred on consecutive days.
John Biasi, 55, was discovered deceased in his cell at High Desert Prison in Southern Nevada during a regular check Friday.
That was followed Saturday by the discovery of Winston Kelly, 38, in his cell at Ely State Prison. He was unresponsive and transported to the hospital in Ely where hew was pronounced dead.
Biasi was serving 10-25 years for second degree murder with a consecutive term of up to 15 years for use of a deadly weapon on a Clark County conviction.
Kelly was serving a life sentence for murder, robbery and use of a deadly weapon out of Elko County.
Those two deaths follow that of Christopher Merritt, 34, who was found dead in his Northern Nevada Correctional Center cell Aug. 23. Merritt’s death still is under investigation. He was serving multiple sentences for attempted murders out of Washoe County.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016