UNCE announces Grow Your Own workshop series
June 21, 2012
The lineup is out for University of Nevada Cooperative Extension’s Summer 2012 Grow Your Own series, an eight-week workshop beginning July 9 and available throughout Northern Nevada.
The series will feature back-to-basics information for growing your own food in your backyard or small acreage. Classes will be hosted in Reno and available via interactive video at various Extension offices throughout the state.
“Many Nevadans are interested in getting back to their roots,” said UNCE Horticulture Specialist Heidi Kratsch. “We’re offering these courses to help Nevada growers turn their backyards into sustainable, edible gardens.”
Each class costs $15 and runs from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Registrants can enroll in all eight classes for $60 and save 50 percent.
GYO classes will be available via interactive video in the following locations throughout the state:
• Carson City – 2621 Northgate Lane, Suite 15
• Gardnerville – 1329 Waterloo Lane
• Hawthorne – 314 5th St.
• Logandale – 1897 North Moapa Valley Blvd.
• Reno – 4955 Energy Way
• Winnemucca – 1085 Fairgrounds Road
• Yerington – 504 South Main St.
• Starting plants from seed, July 9
• Gardening is a contact sport, July 16
• Eating on the cheap, July 23
• Composting in small places, July 30
Insect and critter control, Aug. 6
Walipini Greenhouses, Aug. 13
Aquaponics, Aug. 20
GMO seeds and crops, Aug. 27
Trending In: Local
- Childcare permit denied by Carson City Planning Commission
- Carson High student seeks donations for medical costs
- WNC graduates over 500 students, breaking Jump Start program record (photo gallery)
- Bear attacks Colorado doughnut delivery car; officer confirms smell of doughnuts
- Carson City health inspections for May 19