USS Nevada to mark centennial Friday
July 8, 2014
A ceremony to mark the 100th anniversary of the commissioning of the battleship USS Nevada is set for 9:30 a.m. Friday.
Officials will re-dedicate a plaque at the USS Nevada Memorial. A reception will follow in the Old Assembly Chambers in the Nevada State Capitol.
The battleship U.S.S. Nevada was launched on July 11, 1914.
“On the occasion of the launching of the great battleship Nevada, speaking for you and to you, I believe we all share a pride that the nation has selected Nevada as the name of a ship that will be one of the greatest of our Navy or of any navy,” said then-Nevada Gov. Tasker L. Oddie. “There is no citizen of the state who will not follow the vessel’s career with close, personal interest, whatever port she may enter and whatever sea she may sail.”
For more information, go to http://www.nevada150.org, or call 775-687-0608.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016