February 12, 2012
Today’s featured organization is the Nevada Department of Tourism & Cultural Affairs which is the department that is responsible for attracting tourists to Nevada and also for its cultural affairs. The department is seeking volunteers to assist in clerical duties as well as greeting persons who are visiting the department and providing them information and directions to specific destinations.
This is a very interesting and exciting opportunity for volunteers who are people oriented. Call Carol at 775-687-4680 x6 for more information.
Many other interesting opportunities for your review are listed below, but ask about others if you don’t connect with any of these.
• Silver State Charter High School needs math tutors to work with students who are taking pre-algebra, algebra or geometry. Volunteers must have patience and basic skills in high school level algebra and simple geometry.
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving is seeking volunteers to fill its Victim Impact Panel Speaker and Victim Advocate volunteer positions. Nevada MADD volunteer orientation and on-line training will be provided. Computer access and experience required.
• People First of Nevada is seeking a caring volunteer to assist them as their adviser/mentor for its Carson City Chapter. The volunteer will help guide the chapter officers to ensure they are completing their assigned duties. Some knowledge of people with disabilities and the ability to guide, but not dominate the group is desirable.
• Carson City Library needs volunteers to shelve audio/video collection. Must be physically capable of standing, reaching and bending. Also looking for a computer tutor to teach students 1-on-1 how to navigate the Internet and use Microsoft Office 2007.
• The Carson City Fire Department needs volunteers for its receptionist position for which clerical experience is desired.
• Northern Nevada Railway Foundation needs volunteers who love railroads. The Foundation office in Carson City offers many exciting opportunities for volunteers.
• Western Nevada College needs ushers for Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company’s productions. The 2012 season begins on Feb. 10. Volunteers will receive free refreshments, a show souvenir, and are allowed to watch performances free of charge.
• Drivers needed for RSVP Carson City to provide seniors transportation to the doctor. RSVP has its own van.
• Are you an animal lover? Carson City Animal Shelter needs volunteers to walk dogs and socialize with cats and provide some loving attention.
• Like to see great shows for free? The Carson City Parks and Recreation Department is training volunteers for its Community Center Theater for productions. They need light and sound technicians. This is exciting work and you get to see all the great shows in the theater. Also looking for volunteers for daytime building monitors, custodians, and maintenance.
All volunteers receive orientation and training. Also, volunteers can receive a limited amount of out-of-pocket expenses and are covered by several insurances. For details call Carol at 775-687-4680 ext. 6. Do not contact the agency(s) listed above directly.
Trending In: Local
- Carson City Sheriff’s seeks help in finding missing person
- Carson City Kinkead building finally on list for demolition
- Marijuana legalization hasn’t changed Carson City K-9’s operation
- Emergency mental health center fills need in Carson City
- Lake Tahoe has added 138.65 billion gallons of water since Oct. 1, 2016