Western Nevada College welcomes new faculty, adminstrative employees
August 31, 2014
A number of new employees have joined Western Nevada College as more than 4,000 students head to campus for the 2014-15 school year. The college filled several faculty and administrative vacancies in diverse areas, including biology/chemistry, mathematics, English, nursing, welding and construction management.
President Chester Burton said, "I'm delighted to welcome our new employees to the college, because they are such a high caliber group of individuals, and because it marks the first time in several years that the college has been able to bring in new employees. I look forward to working with them."
The newcomers include:
• Joseph Brillhart – Welding Instructor: Brillhart has worked for the past eight years in the competitive welding industry, employed at a number of leading manufacturers.
• Randal Brown – Nursing Laboratory Technician; Brown has worked as a medical technician at Carson Valley Medical Center since 2007. He attended the University of Louisville.
• Robert Ford, Construction Management Instructor: Ford holds a master's in Training and Development. He has taught construction courses at the University of Arkansas-Little Rock, and at Western Carolina University in Collowhee, N.C.
• Mary Gillespie — English Instructor: Gillespie earned her bachelor's in English at the University of California, Berkeley, and her master's in English Literature from the University of California, San Diego. She has taught Foundational Skills English, Composition and Literature at the University of California, San Diego and at Lake Tahoe Community College.
• Delinda Hamilton, Assistant to the Vice President of Academic Affairs: Hamilton earned her bachelors in English from Sierra Nevada College.
• Sabra Helle, Administrative Assistant II — Admissions and Records. Helle is a Western Nevada College alumna, earning an associate degree in 2002. She also worked as an Assistant Outreach Coordinator for WNC from 2005-08 and spent time in the Admissions Office at Brown Mackie College in Tucson, Ariz.
• John Stockton, Mathematics Instructor — Stockton earned his bachelor's and master's from the University of Nevada, Reno in 2009 and 2011, respectively. He has taught at WNC, as well as UNR, Lake Tahoe Community College and Truckee Meadows Community College.
• Lorraine Plympton, Office Manager/Program Officer, Admissions and Records — Plympton earned an associate degree from WNC in 1997 and a bachelor's from the University of Nevada, Reno in 2003. She has worked at WNC, UNR and the Washoe Tribe of Nevada & California.
• Dr. Elizabeth Tattersall, Biology/Chemistry Instructor — She has been an adjunct instructor at WNC since 2009. She holds a Ph.D. in Cell and Molecular Biology from the University of Nevada, Reno, as well as a dual associate of arts in Natural Science and Spanish from Lake Tahoe Community College, and a bachelor's in Communications from Stanford University.
• Dr. Tattersall has been an adjunct instructor at WNC since 2007. She has also taught at Lake Tahoe Community College, Truckee Meadows Community College, and the University of Nevada, Reno.
• Barbara Walden, Grant Project Manager for the Workforce Development Center and Continuing Education: Walden has 16 years of community college experience, working primarily within workforce development divisions. Her background includes grant administration and development and delivery of credit and noncredit training programs for regional employers. She holds an associate of applied science degree in Electronics Technology, a bachelor's in Marketing Management and a master's in Educational Leadership.