WNC faculty ratify collective bargaining agreement
June 5, 2014
Western Nevada College faculty members on Thursday ratified their first collective bargaining agreement.
The 42-2 vote with eight abstaining came after two years of negotiations and makes WNC the second of Nevada's community colleges to adopt collective bargaining. Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno was the first.
"This is a huge step forward for WNC faculty," said James Strange, Nevada Faculty Alliance vice president. "We will now have a much stronger voice in college decisions and will have additional protections for academic freedom, shared governance and due process."
The agreement has been forwarded to the system Board of Regents for final approval.
Trending In: Local
- Domestic wells could be regulated during bad drought
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition
- Snowboarder dead at Northstar
- Man’s enchantment of exotic wolf breeds often leaves animals at Tahoe overwhelmed, looking to re-home
- Flooding in Northern Nevada in spring called a certainty
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Three candidates apply for open Carson City School Board seat