CHRISTIANSTED, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands – If only the walls of old Ft. Christian could talk... Constructed by Danish military engineers in the mid-1770s following Denmark’s purchase of this Caribbean island from France, the fort put down bloody slave rebellions, labor riots and civic insurrections for 184 years. Alexander Hamilton, a military hero during the Revolutionary War, a signer of the U.S. Constitution and whose likeness graces the $10 bill, clerked at a hardware store adjacent to the fort. And Hamilton’s mother, Rachel who bore him and his brother out of wedlock, was imprisoned in Ft. Christian’s dungeon for …
Guns at ancient U.S. island fort fire no more
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Letters to the editor for Saturday, March 8, 2014