More than three weeks have passed since an explosion at Hawthorne’s Army Depot killed seven U.S. Marines and injured seven others, and the town is still in mourning. Hawthorne, the Mineral County seat, has long billed itself as “America’s Patriotic Home,” and “everyone in Hawthorne is taking personally the deaths and injuries of our young Marines,” said Shelley Hartmann, a community leader and executive director of the Mineral County Economic Development Authority. “Our residents are still placing flowers at the memorial to the fallen Marines that has been erected at Veterans Memorial Park, and people continue to come to the …
Hawthorne still mourns blast victims
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Scene in Passing: Money talks; eyeball-to-eyeball counts