Investopedia defines privatization as “The transfer of ownership of ... businesses from a government to a privately owned entity.” The argument for privatization says “... the estimated increases in efficiency that can result from private ownership … come from the greater importance private owners tend to place on profit maximization as compared to government, which tends to be less concerned about profits.” Therein lies the problem. Our Constitution says government exists to “establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty ...” There shouldn’t be “profit” in establishing justice, …
Prisons for fun and profit
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Scene in Passing: Money talks; eyeball-to-eyeball counts