A modified and rather weak gun bill Amendment, requiring background checks, went down to defeat 54-46 in the Senate April 17. It couldn’t garner the needed 60 votes to override a Republican filibuster. Ninety percent of Americans supported this legislation making it more difficult for criminals and the insane to purchase guns frequently used in mass murders. The Senate also failed to even consider a ban on military assault weapons. Wimps. Four cowardly Democrats joined 41 Republicans, including Nevada Sen. Dean Heller, in selling out the American people to the gun lobby. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s no vote was …
These senators sold us out
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Scene in Passing: Money talks; eyeball-to-eyeball counts