The Galena Creek Bridge reared its head Monday as the Senate Finance Committee took up a bill to revamp the Nevada Department of Transportation Board. While sponsor Sen. Mark Manendo, D-Las Vegas, described the plan as replacing elected officials with an 11-member board of experts to manage Nevada’s roadways, it quickly became clear that Southern Nevadans including members of finance think the existing board has spent too much money building in the north and rural Nevada. In their eyes, I-580’s Galena Creek Bridge, a $95 million, 1,725-foot long structure soaring 320 feet above the creek, is the poster child for …
South calls for NDOT board shake up
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Scene in Passing: Money talks; eyeball-to-eyeball counts