Consider compassion when picking a party During the Great Recession, enrollment in SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, doubled to 47 million. Benefits average $133 per month. Most of the beneficiaries are children, elderly or disabled. $133 per month is $4.37 a day, and even with that, the Sodexo Foundation estimates that 17 million American children go to bed hungry every night. No telling how many more there will be after the Recovery Act’s 13 percent boost in SNAP benefits expires on Nov. 1. But it gets worse. On Sept. 19, the House of Representatives approved H.R. 3102 by a …
Letters to the editor for Thursday, Sept. 26, 2013
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Brian Sandford: Got a breaking-news tip? Here’s how to share it