In 2009 it was reported that 50 million Americans — that’s 15 percent of all households — experienced food insecurity at some point. Many needed food stamps to feed their families. One out of five veterans receive food stamps. Millions relying on food stamps are the working poor. The fact that so many working poor rely on food stamps is a good argument for raising the minimum wage. The Republicans not only voted to substantially cut the food stamp program, known as SNAP, but they are also against raising the minimum wage. One congressman actually said that cutting SNAP would …
The epitome of hypocrisy
Trending in: Opinion
- Guy W. Farmer: Some ambassadors aren’t worthy of their important duty
- Bo Statham: State can’t rely on just gaming for tax money
- Silver Dollars and Wooden Nickels: Where’s that ‘respectable’ Democratic candidate?
- Letters to the editor for Sunday, March 9, 2014
- Letters to the editor for Saturday, March 8, 2014