Calendar of events
May 13, 2005
• Lahontan Audubon Society and Friends of Silver Saddle Ranch birding trip at the ranch, 7:30 a.m. All levels of birders welcome; free and open to the public. Call Nancy Bish at 884-1570.
• Carson City Host Lion’s Club annual Benefit Brunch, 8-10 a.m. at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive, for Meals on Wheels. Menu includes French toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, coffee, tea and orange juice. Free bingo from 10-11 a.m. for cash prizes. Seniors and children $3; others $4. Call 883-0703.
• USPS Letter Carriers Food Drive. Place non-perishable food items in a bag by your mailbox. In Carson City food will be distributed to FISH and Advocates to End Domestic Violence.
• Builders Association of Western Nevada annual Golf Tournament at Empire Ranch Golf Course. Shotgun start at 8 a.m., four-man scramble. Proceeds benefit BAWN/WNCC Construction Trades Endowment Fund. Call 882-4353.
• Nevada Singles co-op garage sale, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 998 Mica Drive, Indian Hills. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
• Cub Scout Pack 341 Car Wash, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Albertsons, 3620 N. Carson St. Donation $5; call 882-5646.
• “Adopt a Saddle-trained Horse,” begins at 10 a.m. at Warm Springs Correctional Center, Carson City. Gates open at 9; all beginning bids are $150. Call 881-2288 or 861-6469.
• Spring Farmers Market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Telegraph Square, corner of South Curry and Telegraph streets. Call 746-5024.
• Free one-hour seminar on Container Planting at 11 a.m. at Greenhouse Garden Center, 2450 S. Carson St. Preregistration necessary; seating limited. Also, Do-It-Yourself Container Planting Workshop at 1 p.m. Call 882-8600.
• C Hill Flag Dedication, 11 a.m. Meet at the “saddle” south of C Hill; access road near Curry and Rhodes streets. Call Robin Williamson at 883-9577 or Gil Ayarbe at 882-1681.
• Carson City Democratic Women’s Club meets at 11:30 a.m. at Grandma Hattie’s, 2811 S. Carson St. Guest speaker is Eileen Cohen.
• WNCC Carson City “Cultures Around the World” 10th annual Multicultural Festival, 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Sarah Winnemucca Hall, Aspen Building. Features free entertainment, dancing, music and artwork. Plus ethnic foods and displays from different countries. Call 445-3000.
• “Symphony of Flavors: Food, Wine and Music,” 6:30 p.m. at the Brewery Arts Center Performance Hall, 511 W. King St. Tickets $35 general admission, $20 students, available at the door. Call 883-1976.
• Carson City Elks Lodge No. 2177 presents Tommy’s annual Fishing Derby for Kids ages 2-12 from 8:30-11 a.m. Saturday at Davis Creek Park. Call 882-2177.
• Public dance from 7-10 p.m. with live music by the Tunetoppers at the Carson City Senior Citizens Center, 911 Beverly Drive. Admission $6 per person; call 883-0703.
• Champion Speedway auto racing, 1230 Race Track Road (off Bigelow), 7 p.m. Features several classes of racing. Call 888-9777.
• Thunder Bowl Speedway Flattrack TT Scrambles in Mound House. Gates open at 5, racing at 7 p.m. Includes beginner to expert, kids, pro-payback races for motorcycles, vintage bikes and quad ATVs. Call 233-6636.
• Dayton Area Chamber of Commerce fourth annual Oodles of Noodles Pasta Cook-off, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. in downtown Dayton (Pike Street). Features pasta, vendors and crafters and live entertainment.
• May Fest Art and Craft Fair, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Dayton Valley Floral and Nursery, 209 Dayton Valley Road. Features local artists and crafters, live entertainment, food and beverage. Call 246-5296.
• Third annual Sharkey Begovich Swing for a Cure Golf Tournament, 7 a.m. first tee off; 1 p.m. second tee off at Carson Valley Golf Course. A benefit for the Carson-Tahoe Cancer Center. Call 885-4596 or 782-6715.
• Women’s Issues Forum, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Douglas High School Media Center, Highway 88 in Minden. Public welcome to hear guest speaker Sen. Dina Titus. Light lunch available for $5. Call Arline Zeidler at 267-9458.
• George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic perform at 9 p.m. at Caesars Tahoe Showroom. Tickets $35 day of show; all ages welcome. Call 337-8344.
• 14th annual March For Jesus/Jesus Day in Reno. Begins at 9:30 a.m. at Fifth and Virginia streets at the Silver Legacy, ends at Pioneer Theater. Call Barbara Jones at 849-9503 or 322-5813.
• Nevada State Railroad Museum Armed Forces Day. Ride a steam train from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 687-6953.
• Carson City Chamber of Commerce Trade Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Community Center Gymnasium. Call Larry Osborne at 882-1565.
• Renaissance Fair, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at Fuji Park. Call Sean Kiernan at 887-9164.
• Acoustic rock duo String Machine perform at 7 p.m. Friday and 8 p.m. Saturday at the Ormsby Club, corner of Seventh and Curry streets. Call 882-1890.
• Fourth annual Reno-Tahoe Wine and Food Festival. Tickets $55 Friday and Saturday; call 789-2285.
• BAC Stage Kids presents “We The People” at 7 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday at the Brewery Arts Center, 449 W. King St. All seats $5; call 883-1976.
• Western Nevada Musical Theatre Company presents “Beauty and The Beast,” 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 p.m. matinees Saturday-Sunday at the Carson City Community Center, 851 E. William St. Tickets $18 general, $16 students and seniors, $14 youth 17-younger. Call 445-4249.
• Pinenut District Boy Scouts of America annual Spring Camporee at Washoe Lake State Park Friday through Sunday. Includes service project of Waterfall fire area. Call Doyle Hanks at 883-4333 or Bill Waits at 884-0838.
• Capital City Arts Initiative Caffeine Gallery at Comma Coffee presents a month-long exhibit by Paul Ford, 312 S. Carson St. Call 287-2252.
• WNCC Carson City Student Art Show through Tuesday. Call 445-3000.
• Archaeology Awareness and Historic Preservation Week. Includes excavating the historic Acey Person’s Sawmill Saturday, call Greg Haynes at 884-8102; Nevada Rock Art Foundation tour, call Alanah Woody at 315-5497; walking tour of Wells Avenue neighborhood, call Susie Carter at 787-3170, and many more in Carson City, Virginia City and Reno. Call Bob Harmon at 687-8323.
• The Gibson Brothers perform at 8 p.m. at the Barkley Theatre at Oats Park Art Center, 151 E. Park St., Fallon. Tickets $20 non-members; call (775) 423-1440.
• The Wailers, De Sol perform at 9 p.m. at the Reno Hilton Theater. Tickets $22 day of show; call 789-2285.
• Free gardening seminar “Let’s Talk Tomatoes” at 11 a.m. at Greenhouse Garden Center, 2450 S. Curry St. Call 882-8600.
• Greenhouse Garden Center hosts a free hands-on workshop at 1 p.m. for children ages 6-12, “Ready, Set, Grow II,” 2450 S. Curry St. Call 882-8600.