Letters to the editor for Saturday, July 20, 2013
July 20, 2013
Without abortion, women would go to awful measures
The Republican-controlled House of Representatives continue to battle a woman's freedom of choice, passing another restrictive anti-abortion bill.
What would happen if abortion becomes illegal again? Women would do what women have done throughout history: choose abortion "by their own hands." In the ghastly dark ages before Roe, women swallowed lye or strychnine, shot turpentine into their own wombs with syringes, punctured themselves with knitting needles, and threw themselves down flights of stairs — all in the hopes of ending their pregnancies.
Let's not be deluded about what will happen if Republicans and the anti-abortion crowd get their way.
Nevada City, Calif.
Trending In: Opinion
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- American Indian Movement stops in Carson City during expedition