Rite of Passage sues state over closure of Red Rock Academy | NevadaAppeal.com

Rite of Passage sues state over closure of Red Rock Academy

The Associated Press

The contractor that ran Nevada's only maximum security youth prison is suing the state over the closure of Rite of Passage's Red Rock Academy north of Las Vegas.

The Minden-based Rite of Passage is seeking more than $1 million in damages.

The Reno Gazette-Journal reported Friday the lawsuit filed in Carson City district court also seeks to reopen the facility that was closed in March for repeatedly failing compliance checks.

State officials removed the 40 youths there after canceling the $11.5 million contract. Last week they formally evicted Rite of Passage.

Rite of Passage says it spent more than $1 million refurbishing the facility it says was in "deplorable" condition when it took over the facility in 2013.

Social services chief Chrystal Main says the state can't comment until it reviews the lawsuit.

Go back to article