Russia offers $10 million reward for Chechen rebel leaders | NevadaAppeal.com

Russia offers $10 million reward for Chechen rebel leaders

JUDITH INGRAM
Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW (AP) – A top Russian general on Wednesday warned the military will strike “terrorist bases in any region of the world,” while authorities offered a $10 million reward for information leading to two Chechen rebel leaders blamed for last week’s deadly raid on a school.

In a nationally televised meeting, Prosecutor-General Vladimir Ustinov also briefed President Vladimir Putin on the investigation into the taking of more than 1,200 hostages in a school last week in the southern Russian town of Beslan.

His was the first official acknowledgment that the number of hostages had been so high; the government initially said about 350 people had been seized. A regional official later said the number had been 1,181.

Col.-Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky, chief of the Russian General Staff, reasserted Russia’s right to strike terrorists anywhere in the world.

“As for carrying out preventive strikes against terrorist bases, we will take all measures to liquidate terrorist bases in any region of the world,” Baluyevsky told reporters.

Baluyevsky made his comments during a joint news conference with NATO’s supreme allied commander in Europe, Gen. James Jones, after talks on Russia-NATO military cooperation, including anti-terror cooperation.

Recommended Stories For You

European Union officials reacted cautiously to Baluyevsky’s comments, with spokeswoman Emma Udwin saying she could not be sure whether they represented Russian government policy.

“It’s not clear what the status of these remarks are,” Udwin said. “I would note we have not heard anything similar from President Putin himself.”

Udwin said the 25-nation EU is against “extra-judicial killings” in form of pre-emptive strikes

NATO officials declined comment. The alliance released a statement with Russia on Wednesday stressing both sides’ “determination to strengthen and intensify common efforts to fight the scourge of terrorism.”

Russian leaders have claimed such a right before – tacitly threatening neighboring Georgia that Moscow would pursue Chechen rebels allegedly sheltering on its territory. Two Russian agents also were convicted earlier this year for the February car bombing in Qatar that killed a Chechen rebel leader, Zelimkhan Yandarbiyev. Russia has denied involvement in the assassination.

Alexander Dzasokhov, the president of the region of North Ossetia, home to Beslan, meanwhile, said that the regional government would step down within two days, the first sign of officials being punished for failing to prevent the attack.

The pledge was made during an emotional hourlong exchange with more than 1,000 demonstrators who gathered in front of the regional government headquarters to demand the resignation of regional government and security officials, and the formation of independent regional and national commissions to investigate the tragedy.

“We are doing this because many problems have piled up that need to be solved better,” Dzasokhov told the crowd, which repeatedly interrupted him with chants of “Resign! Resign!”

Russia’s Federal Security Service offered a reward of $10 million – its biggest ever offered – for information that could help “neutralize” Chechen rebel leaders Shamil Basayev and Aslan Maskhadov, whom officials have accused of masterminding last week’s hostage crisis in North Ossetia, a region bordering Chechnya.

The agency said Basayev and Maskhadov have been responsible for “inhuman terrorist acts on the territory of the Russian Federation.”

Maskhadov, the former president of Chechnya, had denied any involvement in the school standoff, according to aides. There has been no word from Basayev, a longtime rebel warlord who had claimed involvement in bloody raids and hostage takings in the past.

Ustinov said 326 hostages were killed and 727 wounded in the attack, which ended Friday in a wave of explosions and gunfire. He said 210 bodies had been identified, and forensic workers were trying to identify 32 body fragments. The death toll could rise, Ustinov said.

His deputy, Sergei Fridinsky, said 100 bodies had yet to be identified, the Interfax news agency reported. He also said that the bodies of 12 attackers had been identified, and that some had taken part in a June attack in the neighboring Russian republic of Ingushetia, which targeted police and killed 88 people.

The authorities appeared to be backpedaling from their previous insistence on describing the attack as the work of international terrorists. At a meeting with visiting Western journalists and analysts on Monday, Putin repeated investigators’ allegations that 10 of the attackers were of Arab descent and he denied that the hostage-taking was linked to Russia’s policy in Chechnya.

However, Ustinov said nothing about Arabs in his briefing. Asked about the silence, a Kremlin spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told The Associated Press that forensic experts were still working to identify the terrorists “and until that work is finished, it’s impossible to tell.”

“According to preliminary data, there were Arabs,” he insisted. “No one is denying the presence of Arabs.”

Fridinsky also contradicted Putin by saying the attackers’ demands – which authorities did not reveal with any clarity during the crisis – were tied to the war in Chechnya.

“The demands concerned chiefly political motives and were related to the anti-terrorist operation,” he said, according to Interfax, using the formulation Russian authorities use instead of war.

Various officials previously had leaked some details of the investigation, but Wednesday’s TV broadcast of Ustinov’s briefing was the first attempt by the government to give a formal account of the tragedy. The prosecutor said his information was based on interviews with witnesses and the one alleged attacker being held.

Ustinov said the approximately 30 attackers, including two women, had met in a forest early Sept. 1 before heading to School No. 1 in Beslan in a truck and two jeeps packed with weapons and ammunition.

People who had gathered to mark the first day of school were herded into the gym by the militants, some of whom voiced objections to seizing a school. Detainee Nur-Pashi Kulayev said the group’s leader, who went by the name Colonel, shot one of the militants and said he would do the same to any other militants or hostages who did not show “unconditional obedience.”

Later that day, he detonated the explosives worn by two female attackers, killing them, in order to enforce the lesson, Ustinov said.

One of the militants was stationed with his foot on a button that would set off the explosives, Ustinov said; if he lifted his foot, the bombs strung up around the school gymnasium would detonate, he said.

On Friday, the militants decided to change the arrangement of the explosives, and they appear to have set off one bomb by mistake, Ustinov said. That sparked panic as hostages tried to flee and the attackers opened fire.

On Tuesday night, Russians got a chilling glimpse of conditions inside the school when NTV television broadcast images that the station said were recorded by the assailants, presumably for an accounting to their leaders.

Hundreds of hostages were shown seated in the school’s cramped gym. Many had their hands behind their heads. The wood floor was stained with blood.

Football-sized bundles of explosives were hanging from a basketball hoop. One attacker stood among the hostages with a boot on what NTV said was a book rigged with a detonator.

Associated Press correspondent Burt Herman in Vladikavkaz, Russia, contributed to this story.

Go back to article