Summer kick-off time events at Stateline at Lake Tahoe
June 15, 2007
• “Blue Avenue” Block Party, today and Sunday along Highway 50 in Stateline. Will feature custom Harley and hot rod displays, food vendors representing some of Tahoe’s finest restaurants, street performers and the Robo-Surf where participants can “Hang-10” on a robotic surf machine. Those interested in entering the Harley/Hot Rod competition should contact Tom Argo at (530) 541-7300
• Mardi Gras Boat Parade, 11 a.m. today. Annual boat christenings, welcoming the opening of summer boat season. Onlookers will see decorative vessels such as sailboats, yachts, cigarette boats, and parasail boats as they ply the azure, Tahoe waters. The best places to watch include Regan Beach, which would be a good viewpoint for watching them cross the finish line.
• Parasailing competition, 9 a.m. today. Watch parasailers tackle an obstacle course high above the frigid waters of Lake Tahoe. In a harness with a rope connected to a speed boat and a parachute overhead, participants will soar to new heights.
• Geocaching event, 11:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. today and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. GPS devices are available both days with free rental to the first 100 teams each day. Teams are also encouraged to use personal GPS devices. Billed as the world’s largest free geocaching hunt, prizes include show tickets, rounds of golf, dinners, overnight accommodations, outdoor activities and area attractions. The easy-to-play family event for beginners and veterans combines technology with a traditional treasure hunt via a hand-held global positioning device which utilizes coordinates to decipher directional clues. Geocachers can register online at http://BlueLakeTahoe.com/geocaching.php or the day of the event at Embassy Suites. Registration is required in order to receive the Passport containing clue information along with special offers for visiting geocachers.
• Extreme Motocross, 12:30-1 p.m., 1:30-2 p.m. and 2:30-3 p.m. today. Down the highway on the Xtremely Amped Stage, motocross stunt jumping daredevils will show off their tricks during any one of the three performances of the Xtremely Amped Freestyle Moto-X Rock Show from 12:30 to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 2 p.m., and 2:30 to 3 p.m. In between the stunts, live music and variety acts will keep the audience on its feet. Concluding the Blue Avenue Block Party today is the surprise concert on the rooftop of the Horizon Casino Resort.
On the Net