2 score 18 as San Diego beats Stanford 77-64
November 14, 2009
SAN DIEGO (AP) – De’Jon Jackson and Brandon Johnson scored 18 points apiece to lead San Diego to a 77-64 win over Stanford in the season opener for both teams Friday night.
San Diego held the Cardinal to just two field goals in the final seven minutes, winning its season opener for just the second time in seven seasons.
Jackson helped seal the win with two straight baskets to give the Toreros a 69-58 lead with 2:18 remaining. Johnson scored 14 of his points in the second half when San Diego shot 60 percent from the field.
Landry Fields scored a career-high 25 points for Stanford, which shot only 37.5 percent from the floor. Jeremy Green added 13 points.
San Diego won despite the Cardinal’s big advantage at the free throw line. Stanford had 24 attempts to 12 for the Toreros heading into the final two minutes. Stanford finished just 17 of 26 while San Diego was 14 for 20.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- Today: Yogurt Beach hosting fundraiser for Carson City, Dayton families of teens in rollover
- Man with anchor tied around legs 1 of 2 bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake