Douglas softball falls to Clovis
April 16, 2003
The Douglas High softball team rallied against Central California section power Clovis before the Cougars pulled away for a 7-3 win on Tuesday.
Douglas was playing for the right to advance to the championship round of the Clovis, Calif. Tournament against a team ranked No. 1 in the nation in the preseason. Playing against tough competition, the Tigers finished 2-3 in the event.
The Tigers scored three runs in the top of the sixth inning to pull within 4-3. But Clovis responded with three runs in the bottom of the sixth.
Devon Bateman and Valerie Smith singled and Kayla Dunn followed with a two-run single during the Tigers’ rally. After Ashley Arneson walked, Stevie Smith drove home another run. Arneson also had a hit for Douglas.
Katie Pagen (11-3) took the loss even though she only allowed three earned runs and struck out six. Douglas hurt itself with five errors.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- A’s hire Carson City Matt Williams as 3rd base coach
- Nevada Wolf Pack Notebook: Stay in the Bay pays off
- Former Dayton High star Madison Foley’s college career ends as Boise State drops Nevada Wolf Pack in volleyball
- Darrell Moody: Bruins are doing the right thing
- Nevada Wolf Pack sets 3-point record in win at Pacific