Galena baseball beats McQueen again
May 6, 2005
The Galena High baseball team keeps finding ways to win and as a result, the Grizzlies are on the verge of winning the High Desert League title.
Despite being outhit 10-5, Galena beat McQueen 6-5 on Friday at home. The Grizzlies improved 17-3 in league, one-half game ahead of 16-3 Spanish Springs, which beat Manogue on Friday.
Galena hosts McQueen today in its season finale while the Cougars finish with a doubleheader against Manogue. If Galena and Spanish Springs end up tied, the Grizzlies would receive the No. 1 seed going into the Northern 4A playoffs based on beating the Cougars two-out-of-three times.
The Grizzlies took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on Andrew Ferguson’s two-run home run. A solo shot by Jake Hess made it 3-0 and his RBI single in the third helped give Galena a 5-1 lead. In the fifth, Tony Thompson was hit by a pitch, Eric Maupin walked and Jordan Arnold followed with an RBI single to make it 6-4.
Hess went 2-for-3 and J.D. Peters added a hit. Thompson went the distance for the win, striking out six and walking one.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- Man with anchor tied around legs 1 of 2 bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- 15 set to graduate from Carson City Regional Fire Academy
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office