Lightning qualify for nationals
June 18, 2007
The Nevada Lightning 94 made it to the Nevada ASA State Championship game in last weekend’s 2007 ASA State Championship held in Sparks.
After going 1-1 in pool play the Lightning 94 beat the Las Vegas Rage to advance in the winner’s bracket and then lost a close one 7-6 to the Nevada Wildcats. On Sunday the Lightning 94 won their way out of the loser’s bracket beating the Reno Heat 11-6 and the Wildcats 12-3 to advance to the championship game against the Las Vegas Lil Rebels where they lost 9-1. The team qualified for the Western Nationals in Portland and the ASA/USA Nationals in Roseville, Calif., in July and August. The team will also compete in the ASA Triple Crown Word Series in Park City, Utah, in July. The team consists of Allie Zunino, Kayla Bennett, Demi Elder, Tehena Telliano, Christa McGahuey, and Jocelyn Young, Shivaun Landeros, Brett Lawrence, Mariah Hartley, Megan Kelley, Amanda Leos, Madisen Gerz, and Sara Campos and coaches George Bennett, Rollie Scarselli, and Frank Lawrence. The Lightning 94 is comprised of players from all over Northern Nevada and Hartley, McGahuey and Young are from Carson City.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- A’s hire Carson City Matt Williams as 3rd base coach
- Former Dayton High star Madison Foley’s college career ends as Boise State drops Nevada Wolf Pack in volleyball
- Nevada Wolf Pack Notebook: Stay in the Bay pays off
- Darrell Moody: Bruins are doing the right thing
- Penny shines for SDSU in win over Nevada Wolf Pack