Community sports Reid takes 14th at Arcadia decathlon
April 10, 2013
Carson High sophomore Corey Reid posted a 14th-place finish in the decathlon at the prestigious Arcadia Invitational.
Reid won two events, the high jump (6-5 1/2) and the 1500 (4:21). The high-jump mark was a Carson High School record for sophomores.
Reid didn't post a mark in the pole vault, which cost him a chance to medal. He scored in nine of the 10 events.
Several Olympians, including decathlete Bryan Clay and jumper Mike Powell were on hand at the meet.
DAVIS WINS TOP FLIGHT
Mike Davis won a tiebreaker over Jeff Schreiber to win the A flight at Carson Valley Golf Club's Blind Nine event on Sunday. Charles Serafine also shot a 34, but was not involved in the tie breaker.
Recommended Stories For You
Joe Morrison won the B flight with a 32, three shots better than John Dorman and five ahead of Matt Lindsey. Anthony Moore won Flight C with a 30, two ahead of Gary Schreiber and three ahead of David Thorne. Paul Finan won the D flight with a 31 followed by Gerald Bing with a 34. Paul Lockwood and Bob Van Nort tied for third at 35.
Kevin Johnson shot a net 73 to win Flight 1 for the Silver Oak Men's Club last week. Jason Cooper and Larry Johnson tied for second with 76s. Jim Sapien was fourth with a 77.
Tyler Roberts won Flight 2 with a net 67. Rich Torok was second with a 70, Kyle Francis was third with a 75 and Bruce Brisson was fourth with a 76.
PAUL WINS AT EMPIRE
Nick Paul and Geoff Swan both shot net 65s, but Paul emerged the winner of Flight A on a tiebreaker at a recent Empire Senior Men's Club event. David Knight finished third with a 66.
Joh Masiello won B flight with a 60 followed by Charles Bell at 62 and Gene Gaston at 63. Adolph Zertuche won C flight with a 62, Chuck Edgar was next with a 63 and Mark Wilson was third with a 65. Wilson won a tiebreaker over Fred Perdomo. Marty Martinez won D flight with a 64, while Bob Hendry and Bob Pluth took the next two slots with 66s.
TAHOE TEAM TAKES 2ND
The South Tahoe bantam ice hockey team placed second at the NorCal tourney in Vacaville recently.
The Tahoe team opened with a 3-1 win over Redwood City and then knocked off the Santa Clara Blackhawks, 3-2. In the finals, Tahoe lost 3-1 to the Jr. Monsters from Fresno.
The Tahoe squad competed in the state championships this weekend in San Jose.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Preps
- Carson City area prep roundup: CHS falls in boys basketball
- Carson High football: Senators begin practice for upcoming season
- Carson football agrees to move home opener to University of Nevada
- Community sports: JJ Ply wins regional decathlon, qualifies for nationals
- Dayton hopes to wipe out nightmare season
- 2 injured in deputy involved shooting outside Carson Nugget
- Shine, Madsens inducted into Carson High School Football Hall of Fame
- Teri’s Notebook: Carson City community rallies around man who had bike stolen
- Fremont Elementary eliminates early drop-offs
- HopeFULL environment at 7th annual Carson Tahoe HopeFest