Community sports Two-way tie at Thunder Canyon tourney
May 8, 2013
Bob and Monica Pike and Dave and Brooke Nielsen shot net 62s to win Thunder Canyon Country Club's Cinco de Mayo 4-ball Shamble tournament on May 5.
Jack and Virginia Bonar were third with a 63. Joyce Powell was closes to the hole on No. 2.
• Jeff Gussow (No. 2 tee), Claudia Goodnight (100 yards out on No. 1) and Bonar (175 yards out on No. 1) were the top three finishers at Thunder Canyon's Kentucky Derby Flag Tournament on May 4. Gussow and Brooke Nielsen were closest to the hole winners.
SILVER OAK MASTERS
James Shabi and Kevin Johnson tied for the top spot in Flight 1 at Silver Oak's Monthly Masters event. Both golfers had 24 in the Stableford scoring format.
Don Fox, Frank Maricich and Larry Johnson tied for third with 22. Dennis Prutch won Flight 2 with 44 points, while Rick Crawford was second with 42 and Doug Eckery was next at 34.
EMPIRE RANCH SENIORS
Paul Lockwood, Tom Harlow and Chuck Edgar shot a net 52 to win the Empire Ranch Sr. Men's Club scramble event on May 1.
Clark Reid, Frank Romano, Ray Huntley and Paul Weller were second at 53, and Mike Rogers, Ken Stone, Roger Maxwell and Dino DiCianno were third with a 53. Ron Lamb, Rogers and Don Wilson were closest to the hole winners.
CARSON VALLEY GOLF CLUB
Ken Smitreski shot a net 69 to win the individual stroke play event for Flight A at Carson Valley Golf Club on May 5. Ewald Burmeister and Jack Sparman tied for second at 71.
Anthony Moore won Flight B with a 65 followed by David Thorne at 66 and Chuck Householder at 71. Virgil Anderson won Flight C with a 69, while Gary Carstens and Jim Arena were next at 70. Burmeister was closest to the hole.
• Carson Valley will host a Ladies Clinic on Thursday. The starting times are 3:15, 4:15 and 5:15 p.m., and will last 50 minutes. Each session costs $10. All players are welcome. For more information, call 265-3181.
PARENT, ATHLETE MEETING AT CHS
There will be an all sports parent and athlete meeting on May 20 at 6 p.m. in the big gym at Carson High School.
Social networking, hazing and bullying will be discussed. Information regarding athletic packets, sign-ups, physicals, concussion and drug/alcohol testing will be covered. Breakout sessions with various coaches will take place after the main meeting. The football parent meeting will be held in the main cafeteria. For more information, call 283-1900.
Pop Warner Cheer sign ups
CHEER SIGN-UPS SET
Carson City Pop Warner youth cheerleading will be holding sign-up events this spring for the upcoming 2013 youth football and cheer season. The cheerleading program is open to girls ages 5-15 years.
The first sign-up event will be held Friday, May 17 from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Boys and Girls Club of Western Nevada. A second sign-up will take place at the same location during the Boys and Girls Club Open House on May 19 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. A third sign-up event is scheduled for June 14 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Governors Field.
Cheerleading ambassadors and volunteer staff will be on hand at each sign-up event to answer questions about the program.
Contact CCPW Cheer Coordinator Jennifer Brooks by telephone at 775-671-8245 or via email at email@example.com for more information.
Trending In: Preps
- Woman arrested on suspicion of possession of a dangerous drug says Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- Champions! Fallon Lady Wave girls basketball team claims first state championship
- Sex offender gets 10 years for child porn
- Ormsby House sale update, dog ordinance coming before Carson City Board of Supervisors Thursday
- CCSO advises on flooding mitigation efforts