Shadle key to Dayton success
March 14, 2014
The Dayton High softball team enters the 2014 with ace pitcher Makayla Shadle back and a new head coach.
Gerald Vasquez inherits a team that went 8-16 overall and 2-12 in league play a year ago under the guidance of Daven Passalacqua.
Shadle is the key to any success the Dust Devils might enjoy this year. Unofficially, she struck out 229 hitters and walked just 26 last season, and teams hit just .076 against her. She was a force at the plate, hitting .481 with a homer and 22 RBI.
Other returners are outfielder-shortstop-pitcher Mallory Dickenson (.262, 11 RBI), catcher-first baseman Kalee Alexander (.240, 1 RBI), outfielder-second baseman Hannah Stevenson (.255, 7 RBI), catcher-outfielder Ashley Morrison (.208, 9 RBI), infielder Shalia Powell (.194) and second baseman-outfielder Clarice Cerda (.154, 4 RBI).
Top newcomers are outfielder-second baseman Kyra Mills, outfielder Casey Cathey, infielder Serina Cazel, pitcher-infielder Kacie Touchstone and utility player Nichole Vienneau.
The Dust Devils play at the Yerington Tournament today and Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Preps
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- 4 honored with American Indian Achievement Awards in Carson City
- Today: Yogurt Beach hosting fundraiser for Carson City, Dayton families of teens in rollover