Q-Tip: Pyramid Lake closes
June 26, 2003
If you have never been there, here is some basic information:
HOW TO GET THERE: Take U.S. 395 north from Carson City to I-80 in Reno. Then, take I-80 east to the Pyramid Way Exit in Sparks. Take Pyramid Way and the Pyramid Lake Highway north for about 30 miles to the lake.
HOW TO FISH: If you fly fish, use large, black or brown-colored Woolly Bugger or Woolly Worm flies.
If you jig, use large, black or purple-colored Maribou jigs.
If you spincast, use rainbow, Chartreuse/black dot or yellow/black dot-colored No. 2 TOR-P-DO lures.
If you troll, use the same colored TOR-P-DO lures as above, but in size No. 3, or troll with large frog-colored Flatfish or Kwikfish lures.
Recommended Stories For You
WHAT YOU’LL CATCH: Lahontan cutthroat trout, up to about 15 pounds.
However, the majority of the trout will be under 16 inches in length or between 19 and 24 inches in length. These trout are known as “Shakers,” and must be release unharmed.
SPECIAL REGULATIONS: You must fish with artificial flies or lures only, and there is a two-trout possession limit.
You can keep two trout 16-19 inches in length or you can keep one trout 16-19 inches plus one trout over 24 inches. These trout are known as “Keepers.”
SPECIAL NOTE: You will be fishing on the Pyramid Lake Indian Reservation, and you will need to have a special Pyramid Lake fishing permit.
The cost per person is $7 for a one-day permit.
You do not need a Nevada fishing license or a Nevada Trout Stamp.
The tribal permits can be purchased at the small store just after you enter the Reservation on the Pyramid Lake Highway or at the Pyramid Lake Marina at Sutcliffe on the west side of the lake.
FINALLY: From now through June 30 will be your last chance to enjoy the Lahontan cutthroat trout fishing offered at Pyramid Lake until Oct. 1.
Why not give it one last try for the 2002-2003 fishing season.
Heck, who knows, you just might catch one of those “double digit” Cutts.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- A’s hire Carson City Matt Williams as 3rd base coach
- Joe Santoro: Crazy talk already OK with this Nevada Wolf Pack team
- Greenwave wins Maverick SYFL championship
- Youth rodeo results from Elko and Spanish Springs
- Former Dayton High star Madison Foley’s college career ends as Boise State drops Nevada Wolf Pack in volleyball
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- Today: Yogurt Beach hosting fundraiser for Carson City, Dayton families of teens in rollover
- Man with anchor tied around legs 1 of 2 bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake