Sharks win tourney
May 26, 2005
Pitching and defense helped the Carson Sharks 14 and under softball team team win the Desert Valley Regional Qualifier last weekend in Fernley.
Thera Frank, voted the Most Valuable Player, pitched all six games for the Sharks. In the championship game against the Lassen Kaos she pitched a two-hit shutout, with eight strikeouts and no walks. For the tournament, Frank held opponents to 13 runs.
Loretta Cagle was behind the plate for all six games. The infield consisted of Krista Mattice, Hannah Shaw, Melissa Wilson, and Katie McEwan. The outfield was shared by Mel Puentes, Daria Leid, Karissa Pulizzotto, and Sara Mangiaracina.
Offensively, the Sharks were led by Shaw and Belan Munoz as both hit over .500. Daria Leid led the Sharks in RBI with seven. Melissa Coyle, who has been out with an injury was able to come off the bench.
The Sharks are heading to Fallon this weekend and plan on playing in at least 5 tournaments this year. The Sharks are coached by Craig McEwan, Roland Shaw, and Kevin Leid.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- Today: Yogurt Beach hosting fundraiser for Carson City, Dayton families of teens in rollover
- 4 honored with American Indian Achievement Awards in Carson City