WNCC baseball honored academically
June 29, 2007
Along with continuing their success on the field, the Western Nevada Community College baseball team also continued its success in the classrom.
The Wildcats were recognized by the Natinal Junior Collegiate Athletic Assocation as a spring Academic Team of the Year. In both of its seasons, WNCC has received the recognition.
This past spring, the Wildcats were ranked No. 22 in the nation with a 3.06 cumulative grade point average. This past spring, WNCC also advanced to the JUCO World Series, finishing fifth in the nation.
“Academic and athletic success go hand in hand,” WNCC coach D.J. Whittemore said. “I’m extremely proud of their hard work. We spent 44 games and 50 nights on the road.”
Four players were also named to the college’s Spring 2007 Dean’s List: Jake Bottari, Pat Grennan, Andrew Reid, and Kevin Schlange. Eligible students must complete at least 12 credits for the semester with a 3.5 or higher G.PA.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- A’s hire Carson City Matt Williams as 3rd base coach
- Joe Santoro: Crazy talk already OK with this Nevada Wolf Pack team
- Greenwave wins Maverick SYFL championship
- Nevada Wolf Pack Notebook: Stay in the Bay pays off
- Former Dayton High star Madison Foley’s college career ends as Boise State drops Nevada Wolf Pack in volleyball
- Gardnerville woman held on 11 felonies, according to Carson City Sheriff’s Office
- New tattoo parlor holding opening party Saturday
- Nevada’s public retirement system unfunded liability falls again
- 4 honored with American Indian Achievement Awards in Carson City
- Today: Yogurt Beach hosting fundraiser for Carson City, Dayton families of teens in rollover