$1.25 million settlement in molestation suit OK’d by Carson City supervisors
The Board of Supervisors on Thursday voted to settle a lawsuit against Carson City for $1.25 million.
The suit, brought by a mother on behalf of her minor daughter, involves an incident during the city’s 2016 Camp Carson Summer Camp. During a field trip to the Gold Dust West bowling alley, video surveillance captured a camp volunteer, also a minor, sexually molesting several children.
Two suits were filed, one involving three minors that the city is settling for $255,000 and to be paid for by its insurance provider, and the second suit brought on behalf of one minor.
At the time of the incident, the volunteer was terminated and barred from all Carson City parks and recreational facilities, and two city employees who oversaw the camp were fired.
Since then, the city stopped using volunteers for the camp and doubled the amount of training, from 40 hours to 80 hours, that employees receive, according to Nancy Paulson, city manager.
The board met in a closed session with Jason Woodbury, district attorney, and outside counsel from Robison, Sharp, Sullivan & Brust for legal advice, and then met in open session to vote.
Before the vote, Woodbury outlined the case and said counsel determined acceptance of the settlement was in the best interest of the city.
Both settlements release the city of all liability and do not constitute admission of guilt or the merits of the case, said Dan Yu, deputy district attorney, after the meeting.
The city’s insurance is covering $255,000 for settlement of the first case and $745,000 for the second case, for a total of $1 million, leaving the city responsible for $505,000. But Woodbury said the city maintains insurance should be covering claims up to $2 million and is still working with the provider to pay the entire settlement.
The board also voted to approve a $58,137.50 settlement of a case involving a canine officer biting an attendee during a Citizen’s Academy public demonstration.
The supervisors accepted a $143,227 grant from the Nevada Department of Wildlife to do work at the Carson City Rifle and Pistol Range, including earthwork and drainage improvements to the shooting bays, removal of concrete target frames from the long range, and safety and compliance signage.
Jennifer Budge, director, Parks, Recreation and Open Space, said bids to a request for proposals for the work are due in early December and will be presented to the board at its first meeting in January.
Mayor Pro Temp Lori Bagwell, who chaired the meeting because Mayor Bob Crowell was absent, said the intention is to reopen the range six days a week as soon as the work is completed.
NOTE: The supervisors’ meeting continued Thursday afternoon as the board was set to interview eight people for one spot on the library board.