TOPAZ RANCH ESTATES - A Topaz Ranch Estates family lost all their possessions when their home burned to the ground late Sunday night.
According to Fire Marshal Steve Eisley of the East Fork Fire Department, the fire was reported at 10:30 p.m. when a resident at 1400 Walker View saw the carport burning.
"They were at home enjoying a TV show and the lights flickered a couple of times," Eisley said. "When the son got up to go to the rear of the building, he saw the carport was well involved (in fire)."
The home is owned by Elizabeth Ramsey, 87, and her daughter, Ruth Ramsey. Ruth Ramsey's adult son Mike Faley also lived there.
Eisley said the family rushed from the home to a neighbors and called 911.
"The fire was so quick, they didn't have time to get anything," Eisley said. No one was injured.
The two-alarm fire destroyed the double-wide mobile home, a single-wide mobile used for storage, a shed, a covered carport and two cars.
Eisley said units from the East Fork Fire District and volunteers from Topaz Ranch Estates, Topaz Lake, Ruhenstroth, Gardnerville Ranchos, Fish Springs and Douglas Engine Co. responded to the blaze.
He said the Red Cross is in contact with the family who he believes is staying with Faley's girlfriend. The fire at this point is ruled accidental.
"This family lost their home, vehicles, everything was lost," he said.
A 500-gallon propane tank in the middle of the blaze gave firefighters something extra to worry about during the course of their battle.
"The tank was heating up and releasing propane into the atmosphere. One of our first efforts was to keep that tank cool to prevent any kind of rupture," Eisley said.
Eisley said crews successfully prevented flames from spreading to other homes or wild land.
He said he believed the buildings were insured.