Plenty of Carson-area examples will be on display this week at the fourth annual Governor's Economic Development Conference, from Pulitzers and Peabodies to sausages and salsa.
The conference today and Friday at the Reno Hilton will feature forecasts by "business futurists" and sessions on recruiting and keeping both businesses and good employees.
One highlight will be the Made In Nevada reception, whose 55 exhibitors include over a dozen from Carson City or surrounding communities.
Medallic Art Co. of Dayton produces the medals awarded as Pulitzer Prizes and Peabody Awards, along with many other metallic commemoratives. The Ghastly Gallimaufry of Gardnerville makes book covers and mouse pads.
The 2JP Ranch of Silver Springs supplies angora rabbits, mohair, yarns and craft supplies, while Harrell's Ostrich Ranch of Yerington produces, yes, ostrich meat.
Exhibitors from Carson City will display such items as Cubix Corp.'s multi-computer network servers and Biggs Corp.'s ergonometric wet mop handles.
The Nevada Commission on Economic Development and the Manufacturing Assistance Partnership sponsor Made In Nevada promotions, Made in Nevada coordinator Art Nadler said, "to highlight these companies and trumpet their unique products."
Successful Nevada firms also can be a source of valuable information that can be tapped during efforts to recruit other companies to Nevada.
A Made in Nevada Web site carries business histories, product descriptions and photos of more than 200 Nevada manufacturers and continues to grow. The only requirements for listing are that the company must be headquartered in Nevada and make or assemble at least half if its products within the state.
Other Carson-area companies set to appear in the Made In Nevada reception are:
- Aladdin Freezdry Co., Gardnerville, freeze-dried flowers.
- Duro Manufacturing, Carson City, retractable reels for air, water, oil and welding gas hoses.
- Great Basin Sourdough Starter Co., Carson City, sourdough cookbook and freeze-dried recipes.
- John Jantos Menus & Advertising Specialties, Carson City, restaurant menu covers and check presenters.
- Lake Tahoe Chocolate Factory, Zephyr Cove, edible images printed on chocolates.
- Marshall Mint, Virginia City, medallions and ingots of silver, platinum and gold.
- Nevada Magazine, Carson City, magazine, books, calendars and note pads.
- Panchita's Killer Salsa, Minden, fresh salsa.
- Specline Nevada, Carson City, bearings for aerospace and other industries.
- The Sausage Factory, Carson City, specialty meats.
On the Net
Made in Nevada information:
Commission on Economic Development: