Deal close on road work for retail project

City officials are closer to forming a deal that would extend Sonoma Street and bring development and sales tax dollars to Carson City.

The Regional Transportation Commission will revisit paying $200,000 for a stop light at Sonoma and Carson streets. The light and an extension of Sonoma Street from Carson to Curry street is proposed as part of a retail-store project by Conkey Development.

Commissioners hedged on a decision in February, asking Conkey and city staff members to seek cooperation from a neighboring property owner on the project.

Conkey's property lies between Carson and Curry streets and is bordered by property owned by Gene Allensworth.

Conkey President Jim Conkey asked the commission in February to move the signal and the street's construction to a higher priority level in the city's master plan. He also asked the city to pay for the stop light, which he said with development at the site would meet Nevada Department of Transportation warrants for a signal.

In return, Conkey would construct in phases almost all of Sonoma Street in the right of way of their property.

About 87 percent of the land needed for the road could be built on Conkey property. The other 13 percent would have to come from Allensworth, who Conkey said doesn't want to enter into a development agreement for the road.

Since then, city officials have gained more than 15,000 square feet of land from Allensworth on which to build Sonoma Street. Usually, a road and its costs are split evenly between two developments, but Allensworth has indicated he doesn't want to pay any of the development costs and wants surplus property north of the proposed road dedicated to him. The city is asking Allensworth to pitch in $100,000 of the construction costs, although he has yet to agree to the deal.

Also, the development now may not meet state requirements for a signal. It won't be known if the site does meet signal requirements until the development is completed.

If you go:

What: Carson City Regional Transportation Commission

When: today, 5:30 p.m.

Where: the Community Center's Sierra Room, 851 E. William St.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment