Hay fire destroys topaz Ranch barn

A fire caused by spontaneous combustion of hay destroyed a small barn in the Topaz Ranch Estates and burned one acre of grassland Wednesday.

Volunteer firefighters from Douglas County responded to the call at 1:18 p.m. to the Newman residence at 1203 Sand Court. The fire was under control by 2:42 p.m., firefighters said.

Neighbors who noticed and reported the blaze made an effort to let out animals that were trapped in a pen next to the barn, said Fire Capt. Terry Taylor.

"That was pretty impressive," he said. "They braved the fire to let the animals out."

The building, located behind the residence, was valued at $8,500. The fire spread from the barn to the land before it was stopped.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment