The Carson City School Board met Tuesday night and was briefed on the progress the district has made in the decision whether or not to allow outside groups to use the firing range on the Carson High School campus.
Mike Mitchell, director of operations for the district, said that district officials met with gun club members, the insurance agent and Carson High School Principal Glen Adair last week.
They discussed the proposal presented at the last board meeting to accommodate a manner in which outside groups could use the firing range without endangering students.
"We want to make sure we are protecting our facility, kids and staff," Mitchell said.
He said they have tentatively discussed guidelines that would have to be approved by the insurance company and the school board.
The guidelines would include a background check for all adult participants, no use of the facility by outside groups during school hours, type of guns not to exceed .22 caliber rim target firearms as well as various other regulations.
A proposal should be ready by the next meeting Mitchell said.
Other items discussed were:
-- Several Carson High School students voiced opposition against the policy prohibiting outsiders at the prom. Board members said it will be itemized on the next agenda and discussed at the next meeting on Feb. 8.
-- The board approved a second three-year contract with auditor, Kafoury, Armstrong and Company.