A Carson City man is expected to enter a guilty plea in a home invasion in which he allegedly shot his way into an East Carson City apartment earlier this month.
Francisco Montero-Osuna, 21, appeared in Justice Court on Monday where he waived his preliminary hearing.
Deputy District Attorney Kristin Lewis said Montero-Osuna is expected to plead to one count of home invasion with the use of a firearm. The charge carries a two- to 15-year sentence. A date in district court is set for next month.
According to police reports, Montero-Osuna fired seven shots into the apartment door of his estranged girlfriend when she refused to let him inside Aug. 11. A restraining order against Montero-Osuna by the victim had expired in May, according to court records.
The girlfriend told police Montero-Osuna called her about 5:48 p.m. to ask if he could come to her Stanton Arms apartment on Woodside Drive where she and a child were. She told him "no."
Five minutes later, Montero-Osuna showed up and yelled for the victim to let him in.
When she continued to refuse, he allegedly opened fire, sending about seven bullets into the apartment door. He then entered the apartment with a semiautomatic handgun, she said.
After threatening to kill her, Montero-Osuna fired a round into the sofa before fleeing the scene, according to the report.
He was found in a nearby apartment about a half hour later.
He was originally charged with suspicion of felony assault with a deadly weapon, home invasion with a deadly weapon, burglary with a deadly weapon, firing into an occupied dwelling, gross misdemeanor child endangerment and misdemeanor domestic battery.
Montero-Osuna, who is not an American citizen, has an Immigration and Naturalization Service hold on him until his charges are adjudicated.
He remains in custody at the Carson City Jail.