The Nevada Judicial Historical Society releases today its second silver medallion commemorating the historic sites of the Nevada Supreme Court.
Designed by Carson City artist Ray Freeman, the front of the 2003 coin depicts the old Supreme Court and Library building, now part of the Office of the Attorney General complex, which housed the court from 1937 to 1992.
The medallion will be minted at 2 p.m. today on the historic Carson City Mint Press No. 1 in the Nevada State Museum, 600 N. Carson St. in Carson City. Press No. 1 was one of three coin presses that operated at the U. S. Branch Mint in Carson City from 1870 to 1893. It produced some $50 million worth of gold and silver coins bearing the "CC" mint mark. The museum acquired the old press when it was about to be scrapped in 1958.
The first coin minted in 2000 on the press bears the current Supreme Court Building on the obverse. The "CC" mark appears on the obverse of both coins, while the state seal of Nevada is on the reverse.
The Nevada Judicial Historical Society is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of Nevada's legal history, and to educating the public about the role of the state's bench and bar in the development of the state. The public is invited to observe the minting. Admission is $3 for adults, $2.50 for seniors and free for children under 18. The museum is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily.
After minting, the medallions will be available for sale in the museum store and the Legislative Gift Shop for $30. Each coin will be one ounce minted .999 fine silver and mounted in a plastic case on a heavy descriptive card and enclosed in a protective envelope.