Mother said her son would have walked away from a bar fight

Sandra Martinez knew her son was dying. Three hours earlier, Edward "Eddie" Martinez had been in an altercation along Highway 395 in Gardnerville.

Martinez was hit in the nose by a man who started an argument inside Sharkey's Casino before 3 a.m. Sunday, according to Mrs. Martinez.

Martinez was in the bar at Sharkey's Casino along Highway 395 in Gardnerville with his sister and brother-in-law about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, according to her. When they left, Martinez remained at the bar, sitting near two women. He began talking with them, and reportedly a man came up and began an argument, said Mrs. Martinez. The bartender told the men to "take it outside," she said.

After her son received a blow on the nose, he went into the casino, leaning up against a slot machine, she said.

A casino worker called 911 for help. Martinez refused the help offered by paramedics and was released, according to Mrs. Martinez.

About two hours later, her son was not talking coherently and she called for Care Flight, Mrs. Martinez said.

He died about 11:50 a.m. Sunday at Washoe Medical Center in Reno. Mrs. Martinez, also a hospice worker, was by his side.

He had lost nearly six pints of blood and had a blood clot in his head, but died without pain, she said.

"We're sorry for Mrs. Martinez' loss," said Bernie Curtis, of the Holder Hospitality Group, which owns Sharkey's Casino. "We're very sorry for the family."

Curtis added that whatever happened inside the casino was not severe enough to generate a report from staff.

A memorial service for Martinez will be held in Manteca, Calif., at Saint Anthony's Catholic Church, where Martinez' brother Andre and his nephew Andre live. Martinez also lived in Manteca when he was not in Gardnerville.

He leaves behind two children, a 20-year-old daughter in college and an 18-year-old son.

"He was always keeping us in line and told us to do good in school," said his nephew Andre. "He always pushed us to do better. I still can't believe it."

Martinez will be cremated as he wished, his mother said.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office Lt. Mike Biaggini said the investigation into Martinez' death is continuing. Biaggini is hopeful that it will conclude early next week.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment