Two teens were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder in a gang-related shooting Friday night that sent a 14-year-old boy to the hospital.
Carson City Sheriff's Patrol Sgt. Mark Marshall said about 12 to 16 members of the two gangs were challenging each other to a fight at the entrance to a mobile home park in the 100 block of Koontz Lane at about 11 p.m. He said one of the gangs was armed with baseball bats while the other was armed with at least one gun.
"We don't know if they exchanged gunfire or if there were multiple shots from a single weapon," Marshall said. "One male was hit in the leg and taken by Care Flight to Reno where he was treated and released."
Two suspects, a 16-year-old male and 19-year-old Raul Perez-Sandoval, a landscaper from Carson City, were arrested on suspicion of second-degree attempted murder and battery with a deadly weapon. Perez-Sandoval is being held on $75,000 bail. The 16-year-old, whose name was withheld because of his age, was taken to juvenile detention.
As of Saturday afternoon Northern Nevada hospitals had reported no other gunshot injuries or battery injuries consistent with the fight, Marshall said.
"We let them know exactly what we were looking for," he said. "So far no one has called."
Marshall said police have the gun and are testing it to determine the number of times it was fired.
So far, police have uncovered no motive for the shooting.
Marshall said the incident is not directly related to the May 25 shooting death of 23-year-old Juan Carlos Alegria, but both shootings involved members of the same two gangs.
Maximiliano "Dagger" Cisneros and Steve Contreras, 19, are being sought in connection with that murder in which Alegria was killed and 22-year-old Fidel Fuentes was injured.
Anyone with information on either incident is asked to call Carson City Sheriff's detectives at 887-2020 ext. 1400.