• Make sure your home has 30 feet of defensible space.
• Use fire-resistant materials, especially on your roof.
• Regularly remove pine needles, other leaf litter and branches from your roof and gutters.
• Keep firewood 100 feet from the house.
• Construct outbuildings and additional structures far from the home.
• Keep the porch boxed in so embers cannot collect beneath the house.
If your home borders public land and you would like a free fire-safety evaluation, contact the Fire Education Corps at 885-6015.