Diamond Cup race starts well for S&S Motorsports, goes to the dogs in the second day's main event

Supermodified Racing League team S&S Motorsports of Carson City headed to Meridian, Idaho, Friday for the annual Diamond Cup at Meridian Speedway.

Driver Troy Regier of Dinuba, Calif. again posted fast time in qualifying Friday with an 11.63 on the 1/4-mile asphalt track. Troy began his heat race at the rear of the field and made his quickly to the front of the field for the win.

For the 40-lap main event, Regier pulled a 6-invert for the lineup.

"Troy was racing really well," said co-owner Steve Shaw. "While racing through the field, somebody checked up in the corner and Troy bumped into them, tearing up the right front wing, which gives about 65-70 percent of the downforce on the front of the car.

"The bump pretty well smashed it. Then we didn't have a lot of yellows (caution periods) so Troy had to do a lot of adjustments while trying to drive and race at the same time. He really had to work for it."

Shaw said without the downforce on the front end, the condition of the car was tight making it very difficult to turn. Regier passed Kenny Hamilton on lap 35 to take the lead and five laps later the win.

"But everything was fine," Shaw added. "We put a new wing on and are going for that track (qualifying) record. We've got a good setup going into tonight's (Saturday's) race and really want to win."

Saturday started out good but Shaw said there was just something about the track condition that just wasn't quite right.

"Troy got fast time again, but everybody was considerably slower on time than Friday," Shaw said. "Troy had a 12.07, but the track was just a lot different. It was a little warmer so possibly that had something to do with it."

In his heat race, Troy again started at the rear and worked his way up to finish second. For the main event, the draw was not as good either, he pulled a 10.

"It took him a while to move through the slower traffic," Shaw said. "He was in fourth moving to pass A.J. Russell when A.J. just got out of control and tapped the front wall. Troy spun to the infield to keep from hitting him, which of course, meant he would restart at the rear of the field."

With 19 laps left, Regier knew he needed to make a move to get to the front of the field. Regier said he was using the outside lane to pass cars but when he saw a opening on the inside of a sprint car. He moved down to take the position, the car moved in on him and Regier ended up in the front wall.

"I really wanted this win and I tried too hard," Regier said of his actions. "I used the outside line of the track to pass cars all night and I should have stayed there.

"I had this thought in the back of my mind coming into Saturday's race that I could have a perfect (winning) season. I tried too hard. I must first remember to be patient.

"But I'll try and I'll be back, better than ever. I do appreciate the guys working so hard."

Regier won the opening race April 9 in Tucson, Ariz. and May 14 in Madera, Calif.

"Troy was running them down and I think we would have won Saturday also, if not for other cars out of control," Shaw said. "It was just a racing accident."

Unofficially, Shaw said the win first went to A.J. Russell. After the race Russell failed to go directly to the scales and may have been disqualified, then giving the win to Jeff Russell.

The Supermodified Racing League next visits Magic Valley Speedway (1/3-mile oval) in Twin Falls, Idaho July 2 and Rocky Mountain Raceways (3/8-mile oval) in Utah July 4.

Contact Rhonda Costa-Landers at rcosta-landers@nevadaappeal.com or 881-1223.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment